Dewars 12 is a classic 12-year-old blend from Dewars, this stuff is the successor to Dewar’s “Double Aged” 12 Year Old – so named in reference to the additional 6-month marriage the whisky enjoys after the initial maturation and blending. The practice is maintained despite the name change and the result is loads of flavour.
Nose: A heady note of juicy fruit and thick, creamy malt. Rather floral, and quite sweet with notes of toasted barley, almond and a tinge of honey.
Palate: The palate is perfectly poised with notes of barley malt, hot buttered toast, a little honey, and some aniseed spiciness.
Finish: A touch of smoke on the tail, alongside plenty of thick malt and sweetness.
Awards for Dewar’s 12
Dewar’s whiskies have won more than 400 awards and medals in over 20 countries. Here are some recent highlights.
- Silver – Blends under 12 years old – 2019 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Blended: Premium – 2018 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Scotch Whisky – Blended – Age Statement – 2018 – The Asian Spirits Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Blends under 12 years old – 2014 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver Outstanding – Scotch Whisky – Blended – 2014 – IWSC
- Silver Outstanding – Scotch Whisky – Blended – 2013 – IWSC
- Silver – Blended Scotch – to 15 Yrs – 2013 – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Silver – Scotch Whisky – Blended – 2017 – IWSC
What some of our whisky enthusiast friends have said about Dewar’s 12
Quote 1 “This is an awesome value…I get to Hi-Time 2-3 times a year from Hawaii…I always carry home a six pack or two as luggage…..Fabulous store with “KILLER” deals all the time….”
Quote 2 “Definitely a step up from the white label. Rather mild to the palate with sweetness and an earthy finish. Easy to drink too much. Not quite on par with single malts.”
Quote 3 “Hmmm, having had a few more snifters of this since my last review, I take it back. Having tried it just after a Laphroaig was maybe not a good idea. Although this is a much gentler whisky, it’s not as bland as I thought, not at all in fact. But now, I detect a lovely butteriness in the nose, and quite enjoyable on the palate indeed. So, I’m upping my review to 4 stars.”